Friday, December 30, 2011

The Quilt Saga

About 3 weeks or so before Christmas my Grandaughter Amanda decided she wanted to make her mother Carolyn a quilt for Christmas. King size would you believe. Since it was to be a surprise she asked if it could be made at my house. Oh sure I say as she assured me she has done the smaller ones in 3 days. So I think it could be done in about two weeks if we both get at it.Well, Miss Amanda has school, a job and exams for college, and her mother has her running here, there and everywhere with her, and Amanda the good girl she is had to go with her. Mean while the squares have been cut and laid out on my living room floor to see if we had enough cut and enough fabric.As it turned out we were a bit short on the one color. There it sat for a good week until she could come back with the extra fabric. Time was ticking closer to Christmas, I had no shopping done,no tree up, and I had to go into The Twelve Days of Christmas at TSF, and nothing done for that. I was stressed to say the least.
The squares finally got stacked into rows and taken to my craft room one row at a time and laid out on the floor again so the rows wouldn't get mixed up.


This next picture is out of turn but here she is clipping.Every square had to be clipped on all four sides.


There were many hours at the sewing machine, sewing the squares together. She had to sneak the sewing machine out of her house and tell many little white lies as to why it wasn't at home when her mom needed it for some design team thing she was doing, along with the cutting mat and cutter. Poor Monty and Amanda took the brunt of that and my ears where ringing as well.



Below she has her happy face on as I am sewing the last of the quilt together. It took two of us to do it as it was getting very heavy to maneuver

Below is the quilt folded in half as it was too large to lay over the sofa.


After this was all done she decided she needed to have two king size pillow shams and two accent pillows for the bed. Oh no, I think, we will never get this done on time,but I am not going to be a spoil sport so here we go again and get that all done too. I was so glad to see all this finished I forgot to take pictures of the shams and accent pillows. Oh well, maybe next time.


3 comments:

  1. Wow it is gorgeous and so much work! You guys are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an awesome gift. I give you a lot of credit for putting up with her through this ordeal. She has great intentions but if other things come up in the meantime, she is easily distracted.

    I am still in shock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - what an amazing gift for Carolyn! Amanda is awesome to even attempt to create such a large quilt for her mom - what a great daughter! I am sure she totally appreciated your home and your help Audrey - a nice excuse to spend some time together!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete